The Breakers - Chapter 5 Teaser

Monday, July 18, 2011

I open my mouth to say something and the words get stuck in my throat. Coughing, I try again. "What do you know about him?"

I hope my question sounds blasé, but I don't think I'm fooling anyone. In fact when my dad raises his eyebrow at me I know I haven't but I don't care. The man looked at my daughter like she was an oasis in the middle of the desert. While it didn't necessarily frighten me like I am afraid he has nefarious intentions or anything, it did … and does make me uneasy. I'd be a fool if it didn't and I don't feel the least bit bad about asking for answers either.

I'm a mom first, always, and Peyton's well-being is more important than anything, even giving people the benefit of the doubt like I've been raised to do.

When it comes to my little girl, niceties and proper behavior can take a flying leap for all care, and my parents and brother should all be well aware of that fact by now.

I hold my dad's gaze, not backing down. Finally he purses his lips and then sits back in his chair. "From what Carlisle has told me, Edward is from Boston, got into a bit of trouble, and now he's looking for a fresh start." 


Well, if that's not … incredibly vague, I think and snort before looking at my dad. "And?" 

"And what, Bella? Carlisle asked me to do a favor for him. I need a new guy, so I'm going to see how it all works out. End of story," Charlie tells me and I know I'm staring at him like he's got two heads.

"End of story?" I whisper fiercely when I pop up off the ground. "What the hell, Dad? You don't know this guy from Adam and you're just willing to give him a job on your boat? You trust him enough to take him out on the water, to have him work with Jasper and Emmett? To let him be around Mom or Rose and Ali … Peyton?" I know my eyes are shooting fire at him.

0 comments: