The Breakers - Chapter 4 Teaser

Monday, July 11, 2011

"Mama and Xavier say I'm not allowed to talk to strangers. My name's Peyton and we're friends now so that means I can talk to you," she tells me and I can't help but laugh at how direct she is.

"My name's Edward. It's nice to meet you, Peyton. I could use a friend," I tell her. "I don't have any of those."

There's no earthly reason why I just shared that with her and I sort of regret the words as soon as soon as they leave my mouth. Especially when she gasps, her slate-blue eyes fill with tears, and her chin quivers as she whispers, "You don't have any friends?"

I have no idea why I'm about to spill my guts to this little girl that can't be any more than six or seven, but I can't help it … mostly because seeing the tears in her eyes is ripping my heart out.

Shrugging my shoulders, I make sure to keep my voice light and say, "It's okay. I haven't met a lot people I'd like to be friends with for awhile now."

She narrows her eyes at me and stares, keeping her mouth in a tight line. A part of me wants to laugh at how serious she looks, but she kind of scares me. How it's possible that this tiny wisp of a thing that barely comes up to my waist scares the everliving shit out of me is beyond me, but there's no doubting she does.

I roll my eyes at myself though and wonder where the hell my balls went and what the fuck I'm doing sitting here talking to a child. Of course neither one of those thoughts is enough to make me get up and leave. Miss Peyton has me wrapped around her little finger already and she doesn't even know it.

She nods her head and I can't help but feel she's come to some sort of decision and one that I'm fairly certain is going to change my life. I have no idea why that thought enters my mind, but as sure as I'm sitting here, hiding out like a scared little fucker, I know it's true.

"I'm your best friend now," she tells me succinctly.

2 comments:

ksw3 said...

"I'm your best friend now" how sweet and innocent is that! Love the EPOV on this one. Hopefully more on the upcoming chapter. It was a priceless interaction between the 2 nd I need to read it again! LOL

robhasmyheart said...

I can see Edward and Peyton are going to have a special relationship. I love that she said she was his best friend now.