The Breakers - Chapter 3 Teaser

Monday, July 4, 2011

As soon as we take off from the school Xavier says, "You had a nightmare last night."

He doesn't say it like he's not sure; he knows I have, so I don't even try to lie to him. It never works anyway.

I shrug my shoulders, but don't answer him. We've been over this too many times to count and I don't feel like rehashing it again this morning.

Apparently, he has a different idea because he turns to look at me. "Bella," he says in a tone that is half exasperated and half worried - the way it always is when this topic comes up. "When are you going to let it go?"
Again, I don't say anything mostly because I don't have an answer to his question though he already knows that, too. I wish I did, Lord knows I do, but I just don't … not yet and probably not ever.

"Don't," I tell him sharply when he sighs at me.

I don't need another lecture. Even though he knows what I'm feeling better than anyone, there are things he won't ever understand.

He doesn't say anything until we pull up in front of the restaurant, and when he parks the car, he doesn't move to get out so I don't either.

"I love you, and I love Peyton as much as if she were my own," he says and as I open my mouth to tell him I already know that, he shuts me up with a look. "You are going to have to learn how to let go of what happened or else you will never be truly happy. Peyton deserves to have you at your best and though no one could ever accuse you of not putting her needs in front of your own, she's not stupid. One day, whether it's tomorrow, next month, or a year from now, she's going to realize what you're doing and with as smart as she is, she's going to know why … and then she's going to blame herself."

0 comments: