The Breakers - Chapter 2 Teaser

Monday, June 27, 2011

"This is where you'll stay until we can get you on your way to Corea," he tells me as he opens the door.

Instantly I take in the room: a bare hardwood floor, the wood darkened by age and use. A simple desk with one lamp on the corner sits beside a twin bed that is way too fucking small for me and is covered with a plain navy blue comforter. There is only one pillow on the bed, though the bed is neatly made. The corners are tucked under perfectly and the comforter is stretched so that there isn't a wrinkle to be found. I can tell the previous occupant had the same teacher as me in the art of making a bed. It's the way were taught at Old Colony on day one. I glance to the left and notice a utilitarian three-drawer dresser and a small closet that is empty but for a few lonely wire hangers. There are no pictures on the plain beige wall, no television either, though there is a small radio on the top of the dresser. A lone window beside the bed is covered with a thin blue curtain.

To anyone else the room probably barely passes for livable but to me it is the fucking Presidential Suite of the best five star hotel in the country.

I smile, I can't help it, and Wayne notices. "I take it you approve?" he asks with a sly grin.

I don't answer but walk in and set my pitiful box on the top of the desk. "There are a few new t-shirts in the top drawer of the dresser as well as some toiletries in the bathroom," he says as he points to the bathroom across the hall.

I practically drool at the thought of a t-shirt. If I never have to wear a long-sleeved, denim shirt again it will be too fucking soon. He grins at me again, and then turns serious in a flash. "Look, Masen. I know this is all a bit disconcerting and unsettling, but I'll explain everything over some dinner. I planned it so you would have a little bit of time to adjust before you had to be around anyone else. Take a shower, change out of that damn shirt, and come find me in the kitchen when you're done. Dinner will be in an hour. Don't be late or you don't eat," he growls and then walks out of the room, closing the door behind him.

0 comments: